- To function as a store house of information on crime and criminals so as to assist the investigators and others in linking crimes to their perpetrators
- To store, coordinate and disseminate information on inter-district and national criminals, state investigating agencies, courts and prosecutors in Bihar
- To collect and process crime statistics at the State level
- To receive from and supply data to penal and correctional agencies for their tasks of rehabilitation of criminals, their remand, parole, premature release etc.
- To coordinate, guide and assist in the functioning of the District Crime Records Bureau
- To provide training facilities to personnel of the District Crime Records Bureau